Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Low Fat Chocolate Pumpkin Bread

Friday night I was CRAVING something warm and chocolaty. Dying to have it. I looked through my cupboards and there was Halloween candy and such, but nothing warm, gooey and semi-healthy. I decided to make something up. Now... I've mentioned this many times on my American Homemaker blog... I am physically and mentally incapable of following a recipe. I love love cookbooks and researching recipes online. I find the one I want, print it out and proceed to mark it up as I almost follow it. I had pumpkin in my fridge and wanted to make something simple. Here's what my recipe looked like when I was done :)

This bread was sooo good... maybe just because I was craving warm goodness, but my kids all had pieces for breakfast and later for snack on Saturday, and it was a hit with them too. It's pretty healthy, the chocolate chips of course detract from the healthiness, but it's just what I needed. This would be a great lower fat option on a holiday buffet or brunch table.

Low Fat Chocolate Pumpkin Bread

2 c whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 c cocoa powder
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp salt
1 c pumpkin
3/4 c brown sugar
3 eggs
2 T water
1 c chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x13 pan or two loaf pans with cooking spray. Beat pumpkin, sugar, egg and water together. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Bake for 25 LONG minutes until a toothpick inserted in the bread comes out clean. MMMmmmm... So good with a glass of skim milk or a warm mug of herbal holiday tea.

The American Homemakers Holiday Show and Share

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is such an original idea; it would make a great holiday gift! My family has different breads and coffee cakes for Christmas and NY breakfast.

Anonymous said...

GREAT RECIPE!! Elizabeth is right, this would make a great gift for anyone :) Thanks for the recipe!

CC said...

Thanks for the great recipe. My family loves pumpkin bread..I have to try this one. Have a great day..